The NYFW Fall 2014 Report


Two days in and I think it's safe to say that I am becoming increasingly impatient for Fall 2014. I know, I know; "don't wish your life away!", but have you seen these collections? Seriously. The coats are to die for, the shoes are even better and for once, I'm actually looking at collections and thinking "I'd wear that entire outfit - not just parts of it". I mean, as if!

Rachel Roy Close Up

Usually when it comes to Fashion Month, I round up the best collections, talk about them in some platonic and tedious way and then eventually, get bored with my own words. So I'm not going to do that this time. What I am going to do, is every couple days during this fashionable time, evaluate the collections seen as a whole (in my head) and then tell you what I'm getting from things in general. I.e; what coat shapes I'm liking, what/who I can't wait to see more of etc etc. Do you catch my drift? People like Vita di Moda for its opinion. If you want a collection review, there's Vogue and Style.com for that - I'm going a different route.

The first thing I've noticed for Fall 2014, is the colour palette. It's black, grey, occasionally white and every other dark shade that you can get from black and grey. This obviously isn't too much of a shock; I mean, designers use these dull colours every fall season, but theres usually a lot of burgundies, navy and warm nectar colours injected in there as well. For Fall 2014, so far, we've seen designers such as Jason Wu, Nicholas K and BCBG Max Azria using a lot of black - leather; matt and  high shine - in their collections. BCBG Max Azria though - this is a collection that you need to check out if you haven't already.


VFiles Close Up

The next thing catching my attention is the shapes. A selection of designers have decided on a more exaggerated, oversized and flamboyant way of living for the Fall season. Triangles, boxy squares - these are making the basis for collections from the likes of VFiles and Lisa Perry. Lisa Perry in particular, does the oversized shape in such an elegant way, it actually makes it commercial. It's clean cut, cute and in no way gimmicky.

Like I mentioned in the opening paragraph, I'm seeing collections and finding that I'd wear an entire look; rather than just individual pieces. This rings most true from Rachel Roy's collection. The combination of textured fabrics, royally deep colours and sleek, high-shine contrast is just ticking all the boxes for me. Fire red, cobalt blue, black and deep purple are the four main notes and just sing together in unison incredibly. I don't think I've seen a collection from Rachel Roy in the past few years and thought "YES!" quite like this.

Marissa Webb Close Up

And lastly, a surprise for me as much as it will be for every other regular at Vita di Moda. I've fallen in love with a colour. But not just any colour. Pink. A slightly warmer baby pink to be precise. How in God's name that happened, I will never know. It's a mystery, but a brilliant one. Marissa Webb has created three particular looks using the colour, pairing it with patent leather, and one coat/look has just had me wishing it were Fall already. Perhaps Cupid has come seven days too early.


Rather than doing a second #NYFW post with the rest of the shows, I felt that it would just make more sense to continue on at the end of this one; keeps everything together and means that i'll just make one post for each fashion week city for easier viewing. 

Helmut Lang Close Up

I last mentioned some shows and my general opinion from the first two days in New York, so let's fill in the rest. First up is a mention of another colour making a statement in the big Apple; red. Fiery, tomato red. Some designers used a lot, whereas labels such as Helmut Lang, stuck with four statement red looks, and included another four with red featuring in the shoes, bags and trousers. I'm not really one for the colour in particular, but it has been seen on various celebrities recently and to me, has a nod to Balmain. Which can never be a bad thing. 

Victoria Beckham Close Up

Next is more of a statement, rather than a trend as such. Victoria Beckham's main line was one of surprise and delight, all due to the fact that it was so laid back and nonchalant, it could almost be mistaken for a Celine collection. The shapes were so clean cut, in a monochromatic colour palette (there were little to no patterns, a little blush pink and one red dress - see, there it is again) that I immediately felt a connection as soon as I laid eyes on it. We've seen a lot of androgynous looks from the designer in recent seasons, but it seems that for Fall 2014, she was feeling extra masculine.

Jeremy Scott Close Up

Shoes. Well, sneakers actually, made an impression on me at the Jeremy Scott show. The legendary collaborations between both brands always tend to turn heads, but for Fall, the designs are now thigh-high. It's kinda reminiscent to the past gladiator sandal trend, but so much better. The boots/sneakers come in a variety of colour ways and matched JS's locker-inspired Fall 2014 collection to a T.

Ralph Lauren Close Up

There has to be a mention to fur and layering. And layering with fur. It's obvious that both were going to be seen not only in NYC, but on the catwalks everywhere else. But Ralph Lauren just did something extra special with it; mixing the neutral/sightly pastel colour palette with delicate furs and cosy knitwear - not the mention some absolutely gorgeous wide leg white trousers - was always going to produce some pretty decent looks.

Donna Karan Close Up

And on a final note for NYFW, there has to be a mention to that red dress. Donna Karan gave us a range of flowing, sexy plunge neck dresses, but the one which seemed to have the media and Twitter in a complete frenzy, was the one worn by no other than Karlie Kloss. It was a no brainer to put such a to die for dress on a Victoria's Secret model - if every buyer in that room doesn't make an order on this dress, I'll give up on fashion forever.

I'm really upset that NYFW has finished and we're onto the three other cities now. I know that since I live in the UK, I should be excited about LDN, but it doesn't have the same effect on me. There have been some things worth mentioning about the city, but you'll read all about that when I do my #LFW report in a few days!



Photo Credit: Images found on Vogue.co.uk, zoomed in and then recaptured. 

Comments

Popular Posts