In The Spotlight: Kelly Cutrone

In The Spotlight: Kelly Cutrone

Yep, it's that time of the week where I share with you sexy people, a little insight into my brain and the 'who's who' of the fashion industry currently inspiring me in their own little way. This weeks choice I hear you ask? The one and only: Kelly Cutrone.

Five things you should already know about Kelly Cutrone:

Image Via Google Search

  1. Owner of the fashion PR, Advertising and Marketing company People's Revolution.
  2. Famous for her signature all black ensembles and wearing little to no make-up.
  3. Appeared on True Life, The City, The Hills, Kell on Fire (her own show in 2010 on Bravo) and even as a judge on America's Next Top Model.
  4. Known for having a total 'no b.s' mentality and telling people EXACTLY what she thinks of them and their work.
  5. Best selling NYC author of the books: "If You Have To Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You" & "Normal Gets You Nowhere"

I know what you're thinking; "what the duck?! she's a hard faced b****" - Look. Don't get me wrong here - I totally had the same impression as you lot did, but that was only because I had only ever watched her on TV in The Hills completely stressed out and joking about how great it is that models never eat at parties which means more food for her. It wasn't until this week when I started reading her best selling book: Normal Gets You Nowhere that I had a change of heart. I was scouring the internet and amazon.co.uk for some good Summer reads for when I set off to Italy for two weeks in June, and after a while of not really knowing what I was looking for, gave up in favour of spending a little bit of time on twitter. I can't remember who tweeted about it, but I was introduced to the fashion blog Fashion Down The Rabbit Hole and decided to check it out. One post near the top of the blog was about a book that she was reading: "If You Have To Cry, Go Outside: And Other Things Your Mother Never Told You" Seeing as I was coincidently looking for a good book to read, I opened up Amazon in a new tab and decided to see what the book was about in more detail. This was the moment in which Kelly Cutrone came into my life. Ok, that's probably a little dramatic, but after deciding to purchase the kindle version of her second book "Normal Gets You Nowhere", I have felt a whole new drive and enthusiasm to succeed and to stand on my own two feet without using people around me as a crutch - and I can only thank Kelly for inspiring me to be like that. I have only thus far made it through about 68% of the book (thank the Kindle app for telling you exactly how much of the book you have left) and I already feel as though it is possibly one of the best books that I've read in a long time. She has a tendency to over-use words such as "babes" and "fucking/fuck" but maybe that's why I like it so much - I use those exact words a little too much myself. The tone of the book is exactly how I imagined: frank and straight to the point, but what I didn't see happening was gaining an insight into her very personal life to see that she has a soft spot underneath that hard exterior just like the rest of us - I have even come to the conclusion that, dare I say it, Kelly Cutrone is actually a really nice person when she wants to be. One of my goals for the future now is to perhaps work for People's Revolution when I graduate from university. I don't know what it is, but just the thought of working for such an influential and strong woman has a sense of power to it and is far better than working for a man (no offence to you guys out there). It's just reminds you that men aren't the only ones who can do things and be successful. 

I decided to buy the kindle version to read just now and bought the hard cover of her first book to read when I go to Italy in June - I just prefer having an actual book in my hand when I'm lounging by the pool on holiday. If you haven't already read her books, or don't really know all that much Kelly then I highly recommend you buy them to see what I'm talking about.

If you've already read the books though, what was your opinion? Were you like me and had a change of heart on her character? Let me know!

Comments

  1. cool post!!!!!!
    best
    brooklyn
    http://marylovesthat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts