Vera Wang Bridal Fall 2012

The Little Black Wedding Dress

"I found black to be fresh and tongue in cheek. With all the big weddings that happened this year, it was fun to step out of the box.", "I did take it to a witchy kind of place." - Vera Wang

Wow...That's my reaction whenever I look at the collection of fifteen bridal gowns designed by Vera Wang - Nine of which are black. 

What you probably won't know about me - unless you're a friend reading this right now - is that I am engaged (I'm young - yes. Naive - not at all) and have been with my fiancĂ© for the passed six years (as of November 14th). 

I have gone wedding gown shopping a few times, and each time I put on a white gown I feel like I want to rip the dress to shreds. They either never look right or just make my hips (and everything else) look a lot bigger than they actually are, and I'm convinced that it's due to the fact that white or ivory is just not my colour. I never wear it any other time. It's totally unflattering on me and due to my pale skin it just washes me out, so why should I wear it on my wedding day when I simply don't feel comfortable in it? This is why I have decided that I'm going to be a bit controversial and wear a coloured gown when my big day comes around. I'm not a traditional girl in any way, so I am not going to have a traditional wedding in any way, shape or form.

That is the reason that Vera's Fall Bridal collection appeals to me so much. As mentioned in a previous blog entry, I am almost like an ambassador for the colour black - probably due to my little gothic phase that I went through at the age of sixteen - and at the risk of looking like Morticia Addams on my wedding day, I would love to have a black gown. The problem is that, until now, I was yet to find a black wedding gown that was tasteful without being overly gothic and tacky. Despite the dark side to my own style, I don't want to look like a goth on my wedding day - I want that sort of, Audrey Hepburn look.
Images via fashionologie.com

Now, all I can say is - thank you Vera! Even if I can't afford one of her gowns, I now have the vision in my head of what I want.
These are my two favourite gowns that I will be using as inspiration when the time comes to choose my perfect dress.


For a look at the entire collection, click here.

Let me know what your thoughts are in the comments below! 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts